A great 'how to' profile on how to be a successful talk radio personality:
Jim Fisher, talk radio host for WOC-1420 AM, is arguably the best known radio personality in the Quad-Cities. Cadres of fans tune in or call every weekday from 3 to 6 p.m. Many of the politicians and government bureaucrats that he regularly jabs loathe him. Fisher says he wishes they wouldn’t take it personally, but a little anger and resentment comes with the job. His is not a news show, he says. It’s a combination of entertainment, pot stirring and a forum for those who want to vent their opinions on an uncensored platform where reporters and producers don’t pick and choose what gets aired (read more - Quad City Times)
But, I'll save you the click through and reprint the (sad, but true) data about the job at the very bottom of the article:
ABOUT THIS JOB
* Nature of work: The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics describes those who perform on-air duties and other responsibilities at radio and television stations as announcers.
* Number of workers nationwide: 76,000
* Number of workers in Iowa and Illinois: 2,550
* Median annual wage: $20,612
* Median annual wage in Iowa and Illinois: $18,429
* Hours: The nature of the job requires announcers to put in long hours at unusual intervals depending on when they are on the air.
* education: Most have a bachelor’s degree in a major such as communications, broadcasting or journalism.
Let's face it: we do this for LOVE, not $$... and, I don't know about you, but I would not change my choice of this career field with anyone!
How about YOU?
AND, if that's not enough career motivation, try this profile on for size of "Radio Rich" Dalton. "I've had a magical life," said Dalton in a recent interview. "I've found out that if you do what you love, what your heart tells you to, it will lead you to the right place." (read more - Joe Holleman-St Louis Post-Dispatch)
Give me a job you can love and make a difference in the local community every time. There are no IRS deductions taken out of your check for the many real rewards of this gig! If you love what you do and put max passion into it, listeners can tell, as the careers of these two pro's prove.
Tim McGraw’s Superstar Summer Night - ACM has put together a Spotify playlist of some of Tim’s biggest hits and the songs his buddies made famous to get you primed to tune-in to CBS Sunday nig...
1 day ago