Monday, April 30, 2007

Acts Of Courage Are All Around Us



"I understand that I am not the only one in transition as I move from Mike to Christine. Everyone who knows me and my work will be transitioning as well. That will take time. And that's all right. To borrow a piece of well-worn sports parlance, we will take it one day at a time. Painfully and reluctantly, I began the coming-out process a few months ago. To my everlasting amazement, friends and colleagues almost universally have been supportive and encouraging, often breaking the tension with good-natured doses of humor. When I told my boss Randy Harvey, he leaned back in his chair, looked through his office window to scan the newsroom and mused, 'Well, no one can ever say we don't have diversity on this staff.'"
- LA Times sports writer Christine Daniels (the former Mike Penner)

I hope it goes as well for Christine as is has for me.

This, I have learned: the vast majority of people are so wonderfully supportive and generous, but of course there are no guarantees.

Coming out about anything personal is always a huge risk.

Reading this revelation made me remember that maybe it's been too long since I have said THANKS to you .. and so many others in the music, country and radio businesses who have simply been amazingly kind to me.

I am confident that Christine will find the same level of acceptance from her readers and industry I have from mine (making me a poster child for
carpe diem)!

No comments: