Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Call it anything BUT 'sexy'

Priceless history from Cluck Blore:

When I wrote that last one I was using the word “sexy” to mean easier to listen to. I was suggesting we find a way to make our traffic reports attractive to the 85% of our audience who did not happen to be in cars at that moment. Putting stuff on the air which you know 85% of your audience has no interest in, regardless of the fact that “Those reports are sold!” to me was a form of programming suicide. I went to Mr. Purcell, “Robert, you said that anything I thought would interfere with programming would not be allowed on the air.” “So I did.” “Well this memo from you ...” I put the memo on his desk and put my best, ‘I trusted you’ look on my face “... says I can’t say ‘screw traffic’ because those reports are sold.” (read more from Chuck Blore)

Thanks to larryshannon@radiodailynews.com for making these great sites happen for the guys who wrote history.

No comments: