Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tom Weidle

He spent the 1970's at KLUC, Las Vegas, first as PD and later as Sales Manager before helping write Sacramento radio history as GM of KZAP.

Long before all that he hired me twice, first as Promotion Director/Night Jock in the late-60's during his tenure as PD of Bud Crowl-owned WAVI/WDAO in Dayton and then later to do "rock 40" mornings in Vegas under owners-managers Rick and Bill Phelan.

During that tenure he saw something in me - that even I didn't - which changed my life forever.

When Western Cities Broadcasting purchased a country station in Tucson, Tom encouraged me to be their first program director there.

Knowing nothing about country, but wanting to program, I accepted the opportunity, which led to more than four decades of constantly-increasing country radio passion and continuing personal and career growth.

Tom Weidle taught me:  challenge and promote people based on their attitude and aptitude as least as much as their past experience.

No comments: