Monday, November 09, 2009

Taylor Swift SensatioNaL on SNL

A&O asked Nashville Answer Man Neil Haislop to review Swift's hosting of SNL (Saturday Night Live) Saturday: (click to watch her opening)
She was everything she wanted to be before the show, she helped create some genuinely funny gags, like the teenager with monster braces who established a hotline to protect children from bad parent drivers.

In her terrific opening "musical monologue" she took a shot at Kanye West, and her ex boyfriend, Joe Jonas,

"You might be expecting me to say something about Kanye and how he ran up on the stage at the VMAs," she sang. "But there's nothing more to say, 'cause everything's OK. I've got security lining the stage."

She also referenced her nasty breakup with Joe Jonas:
"You might think I'd bring up Joe Jonas, that guy who broke up with me on the phone, but I'm not gonna mention him in my monologue. Hey Joe, I'm doing real well. Tonight, I'm hosting SNL but I'm not gonna brag about that in my monologue. La la la. Ha ha ha. La la la."

Later she spoofed Kate Gosselin, complete with reverse mullet, on 'The View.'

Plus her hip swinging performance of 'You Belong With Me," reminds us that the 16 year old we all grew to marvel at, is now an adult 19 year-old adult that we marvel at...especially, Taylor with a goatee playing a scare-them-straight-inmate putting the fear of God into juvenile delinquents.

One of her best moments was singing "Untouchable."

5 comments:

Tom Scott said...

Agreed! Watched the DVR playback last night! Liked her take on Kate Gosselin...and on herself

Dave Morris said...

Laughed my butt off at the Twilight spoof. She seems older than 17! Definitely an SNL high point.

Brenda Bissett-Steinhofer said...

She was funny right out of the shoot and set the tone for the rest of the night. What a natural! Loved the musical monologue.

Greg Delaney said...

I wonder if she wrote that song herself, or if she writes her own songs in general

Splash Gordon said...

She followed the "Justin Timberlake Model" for hosting: go all out and don't hold anything back. The opening "Monologue Song" and the Driving PSA were classics.