Tuesday, January 20, 2009

“I Had A Dream” Too

Martin Luther King Day and Barack Obama’s Inauguration have combined to create some wonderful radio moments over the last 24 hours with stations, listeners and personalities getting involved and also helping out community service projects.

It makes you proud to be a part of this engaging, involving business.

To underscore the vitality and importance of what we do to me personally, on Sunday and Monday I drove the nearly radio free zone that is the Northern California and Southern Oregon coasts, beautiful and sunny on these two January days. However, the absence of much choice on the dial made me realize how much I miss radio. To compensate, I pulled out the last six months’ Radio and Production Magazine CD’s.

Jerry Vigil’s print publication is always creatively inspiring, from Z-100 New York production guru Dave Foxx’s writing, the RAP interview and the other idea-starters and technical reviews, but the absolute best thing in the magazine each issue is the CD with at least 30 promos and commercials, shared by creative producers from Los Angeles to Kentville, Nova Scotia.

However, perhaps listening to six of them back to back was just too much of a concentrated dose of radio self-promotion at one time.

I just woke up in the middle of the night, realizing that I just had a horrible nightmare: I just dreamed that all 30 of the RapMag CD cuts were ... 30 different promos, from 30 different stations, all promoting their new Ryan Seacrest midday show!

That's when I turned over and went back to sleep to the relaxing sound of Pacific surf.

1 comment:

Daryl Webster said...

I hope it's just a dream!