- Best spot first, second best last, worst ones in the middle of the cluster.
- Never put the same voice back to back in a cluster.
- Longest first, shortest last.
- Tags last and only one per cluster.
- Live reads first and only one per cluster.
Then, almost three decades ago, digital traffic systems came in and made changing anything about the way commercials laid out either very difficult or completely impossible.
By and large, radio stopped "programming" clusters.
Ratings never changed at all.
That was one of the many times I have re-learned to embrace change, and focus on recognizing the things which matter from the ones that really don’t.