Monday, March 05, 2007

A Respected Friend With Some Advice: Radio Is Becoming RadiADo


Marketing guru Al Ries has always been a powerful advocate for radio, so when he talks I listen. He's saying a mouthful in his latest Ad Age column:
"...at the top of the hour, I turn off my radio and don't turn it back on until 8 minutes after the hour. Why? Because that's radio's black hole. Eight solid minutes of commercials, traffic, weather, news and more commercials. The second black hole occurs at the bottom of the hour, but it's not quite as bad. I turn off my radio for only 6 minutes."
Obviously, Al is not a music FM listener, or he would have said the same thing about the black holes at :20, :35 and :50..
We all know it's a problem. When are we going to deal with it? Before it's too late?

No comments: